I love when all of the creative realms collide; fashion inspires decor, art inspires fashion, and so on. While perusing past collections of famous designers, I found a collision of art and fashion in Yves Saint Laurent’s Mondrian collection.
Piet Mondrian was a famous contemporary Dutch artist who settled in France in the 1920s where his creativity flourished. His most noted paintings consisted of a white background with black grid lines, filling in only a few of the sections with primary colors.
In 1965 Yves Saint Laurent showed a collection inspired by the Dutch artist, which later became known as the Mondrian Collection. These dresses made the cover of Vogue, and inspired many imitations.
Here are some great examples of Mondrian and Mondrian-inspired works:
Art inspiring Life: Piet Mondrian
I went to my local thrift store and picked up some simple champagne flutes. I’ve been brainstorming how I can make them fabulous for the New Year. There are a million glitter DIY ideas, but none really wowed me. So while perusing some of my favorite fashion sites I found my inspiration!
Image via Chanel.com
I’ve been obsessing over these shoes for quite some time. I might not be able to have them in my closet, but I can try to bring some of the Chanel class to my Party!
All you need is a glue gun (or E6000 which is what I used in this tutorial), a champagne flute and quartz crystals.
Start by applying a small amount of the adhesive at the base of the glass.
Start placing the crystals around the base. Working in a small area will help because the glue takes a little bit of time to set. To help prop up the ones that are standing up, frame it with crystals that are laying on their side.
Use a cotton swab soaked in nail polish remover to clean up any excess adhesive.
And you're done! Cheers!
DIY: New Year’s Eve in Style
I closed my laptop and stared at the table in front of me. With just a few coasters on the corner next to a half-burned candle, I was surprised that this was my coffee table. I had just shared with you all my uncanny power to read coffee tables, yet I seemed to have overlooked my own. I know that I only moved into the apartment a few months ago, and that it’s still a work in progress, but... really?
Am I that boring? My guests must think I am! My saving grace is that my coffee table itself is amazing - a beautiful vintage steam trunk. The coasters are saving the trunk from water stains, and the trunk is saving me from losing cool points!
So I stocked up my Amazon cart with some beautiful coffee table books. Here’s what I have so far:
In order from top to bottom, and left to right:
Stylists; Grace, A Memoir; Carine Roitfeld, Irreverent; Vanity Fair Portraits; Alexander McQueen, Savage Beauty; Mastermind: Art Direction, Fashion Styling, Visionary Photography
Coffee Table Fashion
‘Tis the season for giving, so why not double the giving potential? Instead of fighting the battles of shopping at your local mall check out GiftsThatGive.com. For every $5 that you spend, $1 is donated to a charity of your choice.
With over 100 different brands to choose from, and anything from housewares to clothing, you’re sure to find a gift for everyone!
Here are some great gifting ideas:
1. For the Man in you life - Great packaging and a manly scent, perfect for any gentleman on your list!
2. For the Stylish Girlfriend - Just like the Little Black Dress, this little black clutch is a great go-to piece. You can never go wrong with a classic!
3. For your Child - This gift is sure to get a good laugh when your child of any age opens it!
4. For the Teen - Great for your grandchild, or your baby sitter. This colorful bracelet is the perfect compliment for any “arm-party”.
5. For the Chic Hostess - This has to be the most chic glassware set I have seen yet! A great smoky with a edge! A chic uptown hostess would definitely approve!
6. For the Foodie - You know that friend, the one that makes the most delish munchies for the pot-luck? Well this is sure to please. They will be happy to host a fun cocktail party with this adult science kit!
7. For your Boss - Show your boss that you appreciate their golden knowledge with these great bookends!
8. For the “Oops!” I forgot - Ever forget someone on your list? Or receive a gift unexpectedly? Don’t be caught off guard! Stock up on these adorable Jonathan Adler erasers! They are cute little creatures that are sure to bring a smile to who ever unwraps them! And they will be sure to continue smiling while this critter keeps them company in the office!
Holiday Gift Giving Guide
Earlier this year we started to see mirrored graphic prints, but after seeing the Spring 2013 runway shows we know this trend is here for another round! Not only were florals used, but so were great geometric shapes.
From Left to Right: Clover Canyon; Lela Rose; Vivienne Tam; Clover Canyon
I love the idea of using accent pillows to apply this trend to the home. Just a little pop of interest on the sofa or on your favorite chair!
Top Row: Zebra Graphic; Blue and White Ikat; Cream Beaded
Middle Row: Tangerine Lion; Sequined Pillow; Blue and Orange Ikat
Bottom Row: Grey Beaded; Blue and White Zebra Stripe; Aqua Ikat
This mirror print trend could be perfect for a Vecco Rug! I think I know what I’m doing this weekend!